Friday, September 21, 2012

Magic Touch! The Interactive SMART Board

 
The Interactive SMART board has become popular over the years. According to Marzano (2009) the SMART board will continue to grow exponentially. The SMART board can be controlled with an electronic pen, finger, or any other device. The SMART board is used in grades K- 12th grade.  Visual and kinesthetic learners; as well as ESOL and ESE students benefit from the SMART board; by manipulating shapes, objects, and colors with only their finger.

The SMART board comes with its own features and software. Teachers can easily download extra software and use it on the SMART board. Below are just a few websites and features that teachers can use with the SMART board. Plenty more can be found on the internet.



According to Steven Nalley, the SMART board engages students and increases participation (2012). Students of all sizes can access the SMART board due to its height adjustment lever that allows you to lower or raise the board.  The SMART board can be used for any subject; which makes it convenient to use in elementary, middle, and high school. Teachers can easily access the internet and display information for all students to view. SMART board helps students learn content standards and computer skills, and paired with interactive games can increase a student’s motivation (Schweder, Wissick, & Mounce, 2008).  In my opinion, it won’t be long before standardized testing is done on the computer. It is important that students are introduced to computer skills. An introduction to computer skills will prepare students for college and the work place. Douglas Cruickshank (2007) lists a few benefits to using an interactive whiteboard versus a regular whiteboard. Below are the ones that stood out to me the most.

o   Digital Storytelling

o   Showing streamed or downloaded videos

o   Using online map and satellite images to teach geography

o   Teaching students how to conduct research on the internet

o   Working collaboratively on writing and editing; math lessons, or science experiments

o   Instructing the class on keyboarding and computer skills

 

SMART Technologies has also created the SMART table, which is mainly used in Pre-K. The SMART table is an interactive desk that fits up to four students at a time. It is touch screen just like the SMART board and is filled with interactive games, proper grade level content, and software. Both technologies are part of the 21st century movement into education. Many classrooms throughout the nation are now using SMART boards; however there are a vast majority of classrooms still waiting to introduce this amazing technology to their students. There are plenty of training tutorials online and even on YouTube. It’s important that teachers are skilled in using the SMART board so they can use it to its fullest potential. As with any technology, it doesn’t replace good teaching; but in the hands of a good teacher it can certainly enhance and extend learning for [all] students (Lockard, 2012).

 
 
References:
Cruickshank, D. (2007). A Clean Slate: Interactive Whiteboard Makes Lessons Snazzy. Edutopia: The George Lucas Educational Foundation. Retrieved at http://www.edutopia.org/whiteboard-classroom
Marzano, R.J. (2009). Teaching with Interactive Whiteboards. Educational Leadership, 67 (3). 80-82. Retrieved at http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/nov09/vol67/num03/Teaching-with-Interactive-Whiteboards.aspx
Nalley, S. (2012). All Sudduth Homerooms now have SMART boards. Starkville Dailey News: Starkville, MS. Retrieved at http://www.starkvilledailynews.com/node/11087
Raycheva, M. (2010). SMART Tables makes learning fun and games for young students. The Gazette: Gaithersburg. MD. Retrieved at http://ww2.gazette.net/stories/10252010/frednew124846_32541.php
Schweder, W., Wissick, C. A., & Mounce A. B. (2008). Teaching Content with Interactive Whiteboards. Journal of Special Education Technology, 23 (1). 54-58.
SMART Technologies. (2012). SMART Solutions in Early Education. Retrieved at http://www.smarttech.com/Solutions/Education+Solutions/Early+Education

 


12 comments:

  1. Just curious, do you have a SMART Board? I'm having issues with mine at school due to faulty wiring :/ Quite frustrating! I haven't been able to use it for just about anything I'm supposed to be able to use it for.

    Thank you for sharing all of the resources above. This is my first year with a SMART Board and I have not been to any training sessions on how to actually use it. Definitely going to take a look at what kind of resources are out there to both learn how to use it better and see what other teachers have developed.

    What do you think about SMART Boards in conjunction with students' own devices? Perhaps as a substitute or extension of the SMART response system?

    Allison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Allison,

      I am not currently teaching at the moment nor have I been in a classroom that has used a smart board. This is why I wanted to research a little more on the benefits to having one in a classroom. I think that response system is a great tool for a review on any subject students can really become engaged. It’s also nice that it can then be turned into a graph to see how many students choose a specific answer. I think a lot of engaging and motivating activities can come from a SMART board, it just depends on how it is used and the training a teacher is given. I recommend visiting the SMART Technology site they provide onsite training and training events as well as tech support.

      Delete
  2. My wife uses the SmartBoard in her intensive/intensive reading class. And I have to say that they LOVE it. The students in her classes come from low SES homes and the only access to technology is at school.

    As far as using your own technology devises in conjunction with the SmartBoard...well I do not have any experience with that. I would like to see how students could use smart phones to maybe answer a survey questions and have the results displayed on the SmartBoard...say, using PollEverywhere.

    SmartBoards have some great features. I can't wait to try one in my room. Especially for showing how to edit papers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I havent used a SMART board either but after watching videos on how it works and seeing the technology that comes with it, I must admitted I am pretty excited to use one someday. I think that the SMART board will be a great tool to use when teaching writing it will allow both you and your students to become hands on in the writing process as a class.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for posting about SMART boards! This is my first year teaching and I have one in my classroom. I teach at Shingle Creek Elementary and as such, my students don't typically have access to a lot of technological resources. Unfortunately, my school doesn't offer any professional development or training for the SMART board. It's something I will have to go out of my way to learn to use, so thank you for posting all of the links and resources. I will definitely be checking those out. Right now, I only use the SMART board as a high-tech projector and I have learned how to play a couple educational games on it. But, I know I am not at all using it at its full potential.

    My roommate did her internship at Lake Nona High School and they had all of the latest technology. She told me about an activity where she quickly found a Civil War era map on Google images, and was able to drag it onto the SMART board. From there, the students were able to come up and draw in the slave states, free states, and border states. I can definitely see how that would be much more interesting and engaging than just showing the students a map on a projector. The interactive element of the board is one of its most beneficial and positive elements!

    The video you posted was really interesting as well. As a first grade teacher, I am sometimes skeptical about how effective using technology in a early childhood classroom can be, but since these kids are being born into the digital age and they already speak the language, I am quickly learning that they, too, can benefit from incorporating tech into the classroom. I especially really like the idea of the SMART table, which is probably the future of the classroom setting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kaitlyn,

      I was not aware that SMART Technologies had created a SMART table until I did my research. They say the SMART table can be used from Pre-k to 6th grade, but I think the SMART table is great for lower elementary grades. I have not used a SMART board yet; however, they are tutorials on YOUTUBE that you can use. I found a lot of free tutorials on YOUTUBE that might be of some help when you are using your SMART board. I like your example of the Civil War lesson. I think that’s a great way to add the SMART board into a lesson. It really engages the students and allows them to become hands on in their learning. Also, if you visit the SMART board website they do have training conferences or they can train your personally. Thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  4. Ziglesias,

    I as well should thank you for posting about Smartboards...and doing a bit of research for those of us who have not had the opportunity to use one in the classroom.

    I like how you incorporated a video that shows some of the benefits of using technologies in the early childhood classroom.

    Overall, your research and explanation, as well as your clear bulletin points really helped me get an overview as to why Smartboards are so beneficial, and the many ways in which I could incorporate one into the early childhood setting.

    Good post!
    Meghan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Megan,
      Thank you for your post. I am very glad to hear that my post has provided you with some helpful information. I have not used a SMART board so I felt this would be the perfect opportunity to learn more. I was surprised to learn that some SMART technology had created a SMART table, which would be great for lower elementary education. My favorite link was SMART exchange. It’s a great professional development tool.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this post! My first year teaching I was lucky enough to have a SmartBoard in my classroom for a good portion of the year. I was teaching a K-1 ASD (autism spectrum disorder) classroom and the best lessons I had with my students involved the SmartBoard. As soon as it was time for our lesson on the SmartBoard my students would light up! They loved being able to go up to the board and touch it with their finger to answer a question or to move something or even write a letter! I was also provided with clickers but because of the level of my students I was not able to use them, but I think the idea of them is awesome. The clickers can be used with the whole class to take a quick assessment of the understanding of the students.

    I love the idea of the Smart Table. I have never heard of that but I think it is a great piece of technology! With the way our world is going I think getting the students used to using technology at the youngest age possible in school is wonderful! I think the more our students use technology and become familiar with it the better off they are for the future.

    Thank you for this wonderful post and all the amazing resources!

    ~Megan B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Megan,

      I can only imagine how excited your students were to use the SMART board. It would be great if all teachers had one in their classroom, students would really benefit from using a SMART board or SMART table. I also was not aware that SMART technology had created a SMART table. I agree with you that students should be introduced to technology at a younger age, and the SMART Table gives them that opportunity.

      Delete
  6. I really like your post and the information from the links is very useful. I actually have a SMART board in my class and have been using one since my internship. They can be a very awesome tools used to engage students with interactivity. I teach math and the tools available using the SMART board along with the SMART NOTEBOOK software allows me to do all kind of things. Some of the most useful like the gallery, the interactive lessons, the record function, and the ability to export are ones I use all the time. I don't have the SMART brand responders but have the E-Instruction brand which is the same. Sets of these in each department have basically replaced all scan-trons teachers previously used for exams. I have a personal set that I use all the time in conjunction with ExamView software to give assessments, review games, and incorporate lessons into the E-Instructions CPS PowerPoint software. Great Post!!

    -Jamaar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jamaar,
      Thank you for all your information. It seems that you got a great handle on how to use and incorporate the SMART board into the math curriculum. I think it’s also helpful that you use many of the tools provided to you with the SMART board. I was amazed at how the SMART board can really engage students, and how it can be used for math. I think every school should try and invest in SMART boards. They are great engaging and motivational tools to use in the classroom. It can be used for all grades and subjects, which allows students to use as they progress to another grade level.

      Delete