Friday, November 9, 2012

Social Studies


I decided to do my project on the Northeast Native Americans. I just started teaching second grade and I wanted to become familiar with our first social studies lesson. My plan will be to have my student’s research different cultures and present them in class using Prezi. I wanted to show an example of what can be done by tying it into a social studies lesson. This project helped me learn about the Northeast Native Americans before I began the lesson with my students. Many of my students are struggling readers, so I will want to work on reading strategies so they are able to read the research they are collecting. I also want to incorporate this assignment into writing. We are currently showing students how to extend their sentences and provide more detail information. This will help students include the important information in their digital story. I only want to use Prezi as an option for the project. Since I am working with low second graders I do not want to include a lot of software options. I believe that Prezi is easy to use, since it is similar to PowerPoint. I will provide my students with helpful websites that I have included on my Curriculum Page. I want my students to become aware of the different cultures that are found in their community. I want my students to be able to embrace other cultures and see their classroom as a community of learners.



5 comments:

  1. Hello!

    I like that you did a project about a subject area - I simply did mine about writing a story in general. It was interesting to see how you could use a digital story presentation for something specific, like a research project.

    I'm interested to know if you are concerned about your second graders using the technology - are you planning on walking them through it and helping them as they use it? Are they going to be expected to explore your curriculum page on their own, or do you plan to go through it as a whole class? I think my first graders would have a very hard time using any of the tech/digital media we've discussed. What do you think? :-/

    I like that you incorporated pictures and graphics into your presentation - images are definitely one of the required elements of a digital story and really enhance the presentation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan on going over the Prezi tools as a class. I will also be providing students a take home guide that their parents can help them on when they are at home. I plan on taking a little longer on this project since it includes writing, research, and technology. During our writing time I will allow students to work on their digital storytelling assignment. I will also use summarizing as a tool to help students include the important information that they will need to narrow down their information. I plan on spending a sufficient amount of time on this in class. I also plan on using Prezi during out reading intervention block. I want students to become familiar to what Prezi looks like before they use it themselves.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the extra details! As a first year teacher, I love learning as much as I can from other educators! :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Zulay,

    Great post! I believe Prezi is a neat tool that you are utilizing well to capture the attention of your viewer. I agree with your stance on this particular format being engaging and great in particular for language development.

    I am curious as to why you think that the medium (Prezi) is the best means for the students to demonstrate comprehension of the learning outcomes of this lesson. You mentioned above they would be given other options and I am curious what the options are and how you think the different media will affect their comprehension.

    My only constructive feedback would be a few more photos or to incorporate the Native American theme throughout the visual design of the Prezi, though I know that is extremely time consuming.

    Great job overall. :)

    ReplyDelete